Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Love

Sometimes I don't know what to write.  I feel my thoughts are not as deep as many of my colleagues.  On the other hand, it is possible that I am not intentional in my thoughts.  I often write the first thing that comes to mind.  
The thing I am thinking about at the moment is Wal-Mart.  Construction will soon begin on a new Super Wal-Mart that will be located across from my home.  I cringe when I think about this.  In the past, I've been a fan of these stores.  Where else can you get groceries, underwear, DVDs, and your tires changed all at the same time.  These stores allow the consumer to shop at very low prices.  What about the little man?  How will this store affect the downtown merchants in Wallace?  Will people even need to go downtown when they can get everything from Super Wal-Mart?  Will people lose their jobs?  How will this construction affect the environmental stability in the area?  Will little creatures be displaced and will these little animals(such as field mice) try to share my home?  Will traffic flow increase(duh!)?  
Yes, this store will provide many jobs(at minimum wage and little benefits), and the opportunity for more retail chains and restaurants to move into the area.  

What saddens me the most is that our society is so consumer driven.  Why can't we be content with what we have?  Why is it so important for people to have more stuff that they can't take with them when they go?  It's sad that the gap is widening between the rich and poor.  It's equally sad that many people can't afford health care who desperately need it.  When I was younger it was unusual to see homeless people in small towns, but now I see them all the time.  I ask myself what can be done.  I don't know.  I wish I had the answers and I wish I could fix it.  Will I choose to take the rope and try to make a difference or will I make it someone else's responsibility.  


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

It's a tough thing. I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart, and I admit I shop there for convenience. I don't approve of the way Wal-Mart runs things, but I get to thinking- people can afford to shop there. So many people look down on people for shopping at Wal-Mart (don't worry, I know you don't) and that's absurd. Sure, middle class and up can afford to shop somewhere else, but lower middle class and those near or in poverty can't always afford the choice. Wal-Mart is cheap and that is where many have to go. It is up to those who can make a choice (like myself- I admit) to do something. Another issue: it's frustrating that in a country that looks down on people for eating unhealthy food, they don't make the healthy options at Whole Foods anywhere near expensive for the average person. Our country has ideals- expensive ideals.