Monday, June 9, 2008

the gym

It's ironic that I was at the gym, when I saw the story about the Lord's Gym.  It's a gym that caters to Christians.  The yoga class is called "yo-god", and another class called "Chariots of Fire."  This gym also offers a smoothie called "Flowing with Milk and Honey."  A dress code is enforced at Lord's Gym--women are not allowed to wear spaghetti straps and shorts must cover their bottoms.  How interesting that those rules single out women but that is a whole other issue.  To help fitness members get motivated they can listen to Christian Rock music while working out.  
I'm not sure how I feel about a gym that caters to only Christians.  I'm not sure why Christians have to separate themselves from the world.  Yes, I know we are to live in the world and not of it, but I'm not sure if Christ wants us to completely separate ourselves.  The Christian market offers music, books, movies,accessories, and now even a gym that caters to Christians.   I thought Christ wanted to minister and reach out to those around us.  How can we have conversations or relationships with non-Christians if we separate ourselves.  The gym I am member of is wonderful.  I enjoy going because I enjoy working out.  I have a many opportunities to build relationships with people I see--I see some of the same people every time I go.  Fitness Fusion is no Lord's Gym.  It is open to Christians and Non-Christians alike.  I like it that way because I can meet many interesting people.  I'm also glad Fitness Fusion doesn't blast Christian music through it's speaker.  I work out a lot better when I'm listening to Red Hot Chile Peppers than the Newsboys.  I don't know about the Lord's Gym--it's not all that appealing to me...

5 comments:

Sera Sera said...

If you are a member of the Lord's Gym you are probably preparing to be in the Lord's Army...and we all know thats sketch...

;-)

April said...

so true...;)

Rebecca Lee said...

Hey, I'm back in the Buies Creek area. That's a very difficult and complicated story. BUT the reason I'm writing is to say that we should hang out sometime. I don't know what your schedule is like next fall, but maybe we can grab dinner sometime after work and classes.

Terri Stratton said...

I believe we are commanded to go and make disciples. It's a little hard to make disciples of disciples, don't you think?

I believe we are to mix and mingle with folks of all walks of life. How else are we going to spread the Gospel with those who might not know this Jesus we speak so highly of?

Potters House School said...

I have to agree with your take on this. Why have a seperate place for christians to work out? Jesus sure didn't worry about mixing with unbelievers, did He?