Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Magic

My 9 year old cousin, Makayla, and I were having an intriguing conversation about Christmas several days ago.  Much to my surprise, Makayla is questioning the validity of Santa Clause.  When I heard this, my heart broke a little.  At that moment, I realized that Makayla was growing up and entering the world of adolescence.  She is no longer the baby I once held in my arms.  I was at the hospital the day she was born, and I have always felt a strong connection to her.  Nine years old is the age where a child does question the validity of Santa Clause.  I suppose it is a natural process.  At nine years of age, a child can start reasoning at a higher level.

I don't want Makayla to lose the magic of Christmas.  She and I both know the true meaning of Christmas, but there is something magical about waiting for Santa.  I remember several sleepless Christmas Eve's when I anticipated Santa.  It was a magical moment.  I'm not terribly sad that Makayla doesn't really believe in Santa.  I'm sad because her childhood innocence is slowly being lost.  Makayla can see the world for what it really is.  She already knows the injustice and inequality that is in our society.  She is beginning to realize that life is tough.  This is what saddens me the most.  I want to protect Makayla as much as I can, but in many ways I can't.  It is natural for children to grow up.  I wish I could keep them little forever.  Maybe somewhere in our hearts, we can hold onto the magic and innocence. Maybe, just maybe...

No comments: