Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Big Bug...oh my!


As I was browsing the news this morning, I ran across this eye catching story. Scientists have found a fossil of an enormous bug. This bug is the cousin of our present day scorpion. This scorpion was over eight feet tall. That's three feet taller than me. Yikes!
What I find amazing is that insects of that time were enormous. Many of them were the size of present day human beings. We think these things exist only in science fiction movies, but they in fact existed millions and millions of years ago. These creatures did not have natural enemies therefore they were around for a long time. The scorpions were cannibals that fought against one another.
I think this story is truly amazing and humorous. I am afraid of insects and spiders. I fear creatures that are a few centimeters long. If I came across an eight foot bug I would pass out. There is no way I could fly swat something that big.
I think God has a sense of humor to create something of this magnitude. I'm grateful I wasn't around to see this creation. I would have been bug food.



Photo is courtesy of Yahoo

No comments: